Welcome

Welcome to the new Creatorme blog. This is the new home of the Creatorme.com site.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Fruit Tree Grafting 2013 - Apple scion to a Pear tree

In my earlier Fruit Tree Grafting 2009 round 1 post, I talked about cross grafting between apple and pear trees.  Although the weather was great in 2009 and all the normal grafts were sucessful, none of the cross grafts took.
This year I tried grafting a Golden Delicious scion to my pear tree.  I did that in the March time frame while everything is still quite dormant.  This is how the graft looks like on 4/27 when the weather started to turn warm and the pear tree blossoms started to develop.
By 5/5, the Golden Delicious scion started to spout along with the rest of the pear tree.
And then, by early July, the leaves are out and the cross grafting of an apple scion to the pear tree was finally sucessful!!!
This graft was done with a single slant splice tied with the normal green grafting tape. I actually removed the grafting tape a couple of weeks ago to inspect the joint and all looked well.  I put the tape back on in case the growth is still not strong enough.  I will remove the tape by late summer or early fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment